Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tucumcari, NM to Needles, CA

Like the title this day was another long ride day covering 707 miles.

I've been across I-40 several times and it hasn't changed much over the years.

I did do the obligatory stops at a couple of the "Native" shops looking for things.

One such stop was for gas and I decided to see what this place had.

As I looked around I saw some knives that looked nice and thought maybe get
one for Jake.

As I'm checking it out I see on the blade that it's not "Native" made unless the
natives are Chinese.....

I ask the old Indian fellow working the counter and he tells me that he used to
carry knives made in the USA but that people thought he was trying to rip
them off with the prices he was selling them for.

He then started selling the imported ones and they sell like hot cakes.

Another reason this country is in trouble!

Riding west now the temps are rising higher and higher.

My little thermometer on my bike is showing over 100 now.

Kingman is reporting 114 that day.

So by 8 pm I've reached Needles CA and stop into Denny's for some food next
to a motel I expect to stay in.

As I'm sitting there enjoying the air conditioning and my food, a fellow walks
over and asks if it was my bike outside.

When I say yes he introduces himself as one of my fellow Stratoliner, Roadliner Forum members from Mesa AZ.

Seems he works in Laughlin NV on the weekends.

We had a nice chat while I ate dinner.

I finish dinner and he leaves and I head to the motel and a nice long shower
and some sleep.

It's my last night on the road and I have trouble sleeping thinking about the
last few weeks on the road.

Eventually I fall asleep.....

RW

No comments:

Post a Comment