Saturday, June 11, 2011

The past is best left where it lies....

So this morning I leave the motel in Oxford, AL to ride over to Anniston and check out the Ft. McClellan military installation where I was stationed in '68-'69.

What a change 43 years make.

The post itself was closed back in '99 then partially reopened for National Guard training.

Many road names have been changed to non military names I noticed.

The buildings that I was billeted in are completely gone and the ground is over grown with a small forest.

From what I saw it almost looks like things were deliberately covered up to look like they never existed.

They're building an interstate highway right through part of the post so you'd never be able to find any evidence of the previous use.

I did take some pics and recreated the one from the beginning of this blog but updated.....


You can see how the trees which were either not even planted then or small, have grown to full maturity.

After looking around some more I headed out towards Birmingham.




Along the way I passed the Talladega Speedway.......












Several miles farther along I spotted a sign for a great place for motorcycle enthusiasts......








I'd seen this on TV and decided to check it out......










So inside it's wall to wall and floor to ceiling motorcycles!
There are five floors of motorcycles covering every brand from the first Indians to the latest models.
 
 
Outside there is a race track that the public is allowed to ride on at certain a times.
 

  While I was there a local bike chapter had use of the track....it was pretty cool to watch.

  After an hour or so walking around, it's onward to West Memphis, AR and another Quality Inn.

 The roads have been pretty good until I got into Tennessee where I almost got bucked off the bike by a major defect in the road and got a bit sideways after getting caught in a rut in the road when changing lanes.

  Made it to West Memphis and checked in the motel. About an hour after I checked in, the skies unloaded with a tremendous storm with high winds and lightning and sideways rain......I'm sure glad I wasn't on the road.


 
Pardon the video quality but it's an older camera.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Springfield, MO and another Quality Inn.


No comments:

Post a Comment