Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bye bye Florida...Hello Georgia

Left out of Key West on Tuesday morning and headed back to my aunts place in Jupiter to spend an extra couple days there.



The ride back was uneventful except for having to stop for some construction on Hwy 1 which let me see this little endangered deer.

There is a stretch a couple miles long with fences on both sides of the road to keep these guys from getting run over and the speed limit is 35 mph.....

I was told if you hit one your at fault and the fine is outrageous.





Tuesday evening, my cousin Kim made a real good dinner at her place for all of us.

Home cooked food on the road is great.

On Wednesday I shipped off some extra stuff back home and took my aunt to the store and just chit chatted the afternoon away.

Thursday morning I left my aunts place around 8:30 and headed up the Florida Turnpike towards Georgia.

About 40 miles north of my aunts place in Jupiter it started to rain so I pulled off and fixed my gear and took off......... ten minutes later it was over.

Farther up the highway it was smoky as Florida has been having some wildfires and it continued for a long way before the smell was gone.

I had originally planned to go as far as Lake City, FL but it was too early to stop so I just stopped at McDonald's and whipped out the laptop to see what was available then called the 800 number to change the reservation and off I went earning free nights along the way to Lake Park, GA.

Technology is great on the road......

When I arrived in Lake Park at the Quality Inn, I find the pool is closed, the Internet service sucks and most of the business's around it are all boarded up including Shoney's which is the southern version of Bob's Big Boy back home.

Next door there is the remains of a Burger King that has been closed for years I found out.
Found a Subway sandwich shop and got some food.

At least the AC works well and the bed feels OK.

Tomorrow I head to Anniston, Alabama where I spent a year in the Army and bought the bike in the picture at the beginning of this story.

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment