Wednesday, June 1, 2011

5 Days on the Road



From SoCal to Texas was about the same as other trips I've made in the past, long expanses of wide open spaces.

In Arizona I stayed in Winslow a little town made famous by the Eagles song "Take it Easy" because of the second verse:

Well, I'm a standing on a corner
in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed
Ford slowin' down to take a look at me

So I had to go see the famous corner........



I went through Winslow when I was a kid in the '50's and of course things have changed a lot.

Ended the day in Amarillo, TX.

When I was heading into Texas I saw those electronic freeway signs with messages about high wildfire dangers and turns out that after I left Amarillo I heard they were having some fires.

Really a bad thing as the wind had been blowing pretty bad since I was in Arizona and didn't stop until I got to Louisiana.

I rolled through Texas heading to Joaquin, Texas to meet a fellow from the Roadliner & Stratoliner motorcycle forums named Larry.

Joaquin is real small blip on the map way out there but drive a few miles from the original main street and it looks like most of the USA. So where did we meet....at a Whataburger for a bite to eat.


  I did find the local Yamaha shop that's probably been here since the '50's.
  Later that day I made it to Tillman's Corner, Alabama and another Quality Inn for the night.

Weather was still hot in the evening and the pool was not that refreshing, there was a Hooters next door and I'd never been to one so that's where I ate, food was so so, girls were friendly.

 Well it's been five days of riding now with over 2100 miles under the tires, I'm in Tallahassee, FL at another Quality Inn, and it's 105° and 100% humidity, hottest on record they said on the news....yuk!

 Traffic hasn't been bad at all, in fact in some places I felt like I was the only person on the road for long periods of time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment