Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Last Miles

My sleep has been restless with anticipation of finally getting back home and my own bed.

On top of that I know it was 114 yesterday so I decide to get going and out before the sun rises and turns me into toast.

I repacked the gear last night so all I need to do was get dressed and load the bike
this morning.

By 4:30am I'm on the road and heading home.

The temps this morning are about 70 but rolling along the highway it feels pretty cool and glad I didn't opt for the long sleeve shirt under my jacket.

First stop for gas is Ludlow, CA where I've stopped many times.

Now the sun is starting to rise but the temps are still nice.

My next stop for gas is Hesperia, CA and I've been noticing that the temps have actually been dropping instead of rising.

As I pull into the gas station the wind is blowing pretty good and it's only 56
according to the gas station clerk.

My fingers are tingling as I'm not wearing heavy gloves.

I pull out my thermal jacket liner and put it on and roll on.

Heading south towards home I see the mountains I have to cross are cloud
covered pretty far down.

The Cajon pass is tricky with traffic under clear days but this could get nasty if the visibility is bad.

Turned out visibility wasn't that bad and traffic was better than expected......maybe due to
it being so early in the morning.

As I got farther south heading for the I-210 the visibility didn't improve as I expected it to.....in fact it stayed the same.

Once on the I-210 heading west I started to get mist on my windshield and the farther west I went the heavier it got until it was actually raining lightly and continued all 50 miles of the way home.

So I went from 114 last night and 70 at 4:30 this morning to about 60 degrees when I got home.

It was a great three weeks of traveling the country and seeing the relatives and meeting some friends along the way.

The next ride on the agenda is to Las Vegas Bike Fest in October.

It's less than 300 miles from home....

I hope you all enjoyed the adventure!

RW

No comments:

Post a Comment