Friday, June 10, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama's Back Roads

Got a bit of a late start this morning leaving Lake Park, GA around 9:30.

I-75 north is a good road and traffic moves along at a good clip.....mostly over the 70 mph speed limit.....I stick to 70 and cruise along.

Passed a group of bikes sporting U.S. Marines on their vests heading north also.

There have been some pretty big wild fires burning in Florida and evidently in Georgia also as I have been smelling smoke in several areas along the interstate.

My bike had ashes on it when I went out to load it up this morning.

Rolling past Columbus, GA gets you into Alabama and the roads become a little more rural but the pavement is new on some stretches and the traffic just keeps on rolling.

Every so often there are passing lanes so you can get past some of the slower vehicles......trucks not part of that bunch as most of them are flying over the limit.

I got to Oxford AL around 2:30 local time and found Bama Power Sports and stopped in.

Nice multi brand dealership and they gave me a nice T-shirt.

That makes three dealers I've stopped at on this trip and picked up T-shirts.

Tomorrow I plan to ride up the road to Ft. McClellan where I was stationed in 1969 and ride around and see what's left of the installation since it was partially closed in 1976.

After that I'll be heading towards Memphis, TN. and then Kansas.

I'll miss my cousin in Huntsville as he is out of town until the 12th so it's off to Kansas....

Until my next update.......

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment